Rules for Seasonal Challenge - Yin/Yang
The Scorekeeper last approved scores for this shoot on: 3/1/11
Shoot Begins: Monday, November 15, 2010
Shoot Ends: Monday, February 28, 2011
Scores must be Submitted by: Monday, March 7, 2011
Materials: Standard Royal Round Target (NAA-FITA 60 centimeter round target), Drawing Protractor Compass, Pencil, Marker or fluorescent Paint Pen.
Target Design: Using the compass, draw two half-circles to make an "S" curve that stretches from top to bottom of the target`s scoring area:
1) Draw a semi-circle that connects the top edge of the 1-ring with the center of the bullseye (set the static end of your compass in the middle of the 3-ring). This is the top of your S-curve.
2) Now draw a semi-circle that connects the center of the bullseye to the to the bottom edge (set the static end of your compass in the middle of the 3-ring). This is the bottom of your S-curve.
If you have drawn it correctly, you should see a large capital S overlayed on the target`s scoring area.
3)Use a marker or fluorescent paint pen to make the S more visible from 20 yards.
Rules: The S-curve creates the Yin and Yang areas of the target. The Yin is the upper/right area of the target. The Yang is the lower/left area of the target.
1) The challenge consists of 4 ends at 20 yards.
2) Scores CAN go below zero. Your final score may be negative.
3) Arrows that break or just touch the dividing line between scoring zones are scored in the archer`s favor.
4) Each non-scoring arrow (paper or miss) is penalized -1 point.
5) Archers must shoot the ends in the order listed.
Distances: All ends are shot at 20 yards.
Scoring: Standard RR scoring, but with negative values for hitting the "Foe" side.
Bows: This shoot will have the usual two Seasonal Challenge bow types; Handbow and Crossbow.
Prizes: Custom made arrows in Atlantian colors, frosted with "snow" to signify the Winter Challenge. Prizes will be awarded for each winner, preferably no later than at Crescent Guard Games(north) and SAAD(south). There will be prizes for the best "Bowmen" (Bowmen, Grand Bowmen, GBE**) and non-Bowmen (Novice, Archers, Marksmen). And to encourage new archers to shoot, one for the best score from an archer who has never before shot a Seasonal Challenge.
**Jonathas` Evil Twist to the GBE (and any who want the challenge)- Same shoot but on a 40cm target. Scores get submitted exactly the same as any other. For scores shot with this twist enter a `40` on the non-scoring JET end, otherwise leave it empty/zero.
Stage 1 - The Yin
For the first two ends, the upper/right area has positive values, the lower/left area has negative values. For example: a shot high and right in the 2-ring is worth the usual 2 points.
But a shot low and left in the 4-ring is -4 points.
End 1: Yin 6 arrows, untimed
End 2: Speed Yin timed, 30 seconds
Stage 2 - The Yang
For the 3rd and 4th ends, the scoring values are flipped - the upper/right area is now negative, the lower/left area is positive.
End 3: Yang 6 arrows, untimed
End 4: Speed Yang timed, 30 seconds